Earlier this week, I had the honor of guest posting on the Stay and Co blog where I shared what I consider to be newborn essentials. I loved the list so much that I couldn’t help but share over here as well, so here it is…
When I was pregnant with my first son, Holden, I went completely overboard and bought every single product out there that was marketed towards newborns. There are so many different products out there that it is hard to know what you will actually need and what products your newborn baby will like. We ended up with so many products that we never used, that this second time around I have decided to only buy the necessities, the tried and true products that we used again and again with our firstborn. Below is my carefully edited list of basics and essentials that you will want to have for your new baby.
1. Bassinet // With a newborn waking up several times throughout the night, I found it essential to have my new baby close to my bedside which is why a bassinet comes in handy. I absolutely adore this hanging Leander cradle and plan to use it with our newest addition. Newborns love constant movement, so I love the fact that this bassinet provides gentle movement every time your baby moves.
2. Crib // Unless co-sleeping, you will need a crib, crib mattress, and waterproof mattress pad. I think it’s important to choose a crib that grows with your child so that you can use the bed into toddlerhood. This Incy Interiors Georgia crib is one of my favorites. Based out of Australia, Incy Interiors makes gorgeous cribs that come in a wide variety of colors.
3. Bouncer // You will want a bouncer or baby seat, a soothing place where your baby can sit when not sleeping or in your arms. We have chosen the Nuna Leaf for our new baby. The Nuna Leaf provides a gentle swaying movement. There are no cords or batteries which makes it incredibly easy to move around the house. My favorite thing about this baby seat is the fact that it can be used up to 120 pounds which means my toddler can sit in it too without breaking it (and if you’re wondering, yes he has already tested it out).
4. Onesies and Layettes // Although you may be tempted into purchasing “outfits” for your new baby (I know I did), he/she will most likely live in onesies and layettes. When they are brand new, you will only want the softest, most comfortable clothing touching that brand new, sensitive skin. These Stay & Co. layettes are incredibly soft, comfortable, and easy to get on and off. The fact that they each have a matching hat is an added bonus.
5. Blankets // You will use blankets for everything from swaddling and keeping warm in the stroller, to laying on the ground for tummy time or a picnic at the park. Seriously, you can not have enough blankets. I could never have enough Aden & Anais swaddle blankets and these Stay & Co. blankets are great as an option for everything else.
6. Booties // Newborns can’t regulate their temperatures properly at the beginning so it’s important to keep their heads and feet covered. I found that socks didn’t always stay on a new baby’s feet, so I have bought several pairs of knit booties for our little one currently on the way thinking that these may have a better chance of staying on. These knit booties and these bear booties are affordable and adorable.
7. Swaddle Wrap // Swaddling was a lifesaver for us. When we didn’t swaddle, Holden’s flailing arms, the startle reflex, often woke him up. Swaddling helped him feel warm and secure, and kept him from waking himself up or scratching himself during his sleep. We tried a variety of swaddle wraps and the Ergobaby Swaddler was one of my favorites.
8. White Noise Machine // This is another product that we consider an absolute necessity in our home. We currently use both the myBaby Soundspa and The First Years Sounds for Silence Nursery Sound Machine and I feel as though it is going to be even more important for our newborn this time around with a toddler running around the house.
9. Pacifier // We only used a pacifier on occasion with Holden, but I feel that they are important for helping to soothe newborns (only after breastfeeding has been well established) who have a strong suck reflex. They also reduce the risk of SIDs which always helped my peace of mind. My favorites are these Natursutten Organic Pacifiers.
10. Shampoo & Body Wash // When bathing your new baby, you want something natural. California Baby is hands down my favorite brand when it comes to baby skincare products. Holden had very sensitive skin and a slight case of eczema and California Baby was honestly the only line of skincare product that did not irritate his skin. Despite no longer having sensitive skin, these are still the only baby bath products that we use in our house today.
11. Bathtub // The Puj tub is my absolute favorite bathtub. It is soft and flexible, fits easily into the sink, and can lay flat against the wall for storage.
12. Towel // You will need several hooded bath towels for your little one. The Little Giraffe hooded towels are my favorite because they are incredibly soft and look cute too.
13. Diapers // I know it’s not for everybody, but I use cloth diapers. I use Fuzzibunz one size cloth diapers and loved the fact that we were able to use them from the time Holden was born until he was out of diapers. We will be using these again with our next little guy.
14. Diaper Pail // Regardless of whether you use cloth diapers or disposable diapers, a good diaper pail is a necessity. This is not an area to skimp on because with all of the diapers you will be changing you want to ensure you are purchasing a product that will hide the smell. We use (and love) the Ubbi Diaper Pail because it can be used with a washable/reusable cloth liner.
15. Wipes // Even when using disposable diapers, I opt for cloth wipes for newborns. The Grovia Cloth Wipes are my hands down favorites. I use the cloth wipes with a little bit of water and they do the trick. If I need something a little extra, I use the California Baby Diaper Area Wash. They are incredibly soft and much thicker than the other wipes ones I tried. I can’t recommend them enough.
16.-18. It is never to early to engage your baby. These Art Cards, Nesting Dolls, and Board Book are great black and white options, perfect for interacting with your newborn.
19. Carseat // To get around, you will need a carseat. Holden never liked his carseat (as in he never once fell asleep in the car). I will be using the Nuna PIPA which is beautifully designed by the Dutch brand and will hopefully lull our little one to sleep while we drive.
20. Babywearing // I am a huge proponent of baby wearing. I wore Holden all day, every day as it was one of the only things that soothed him. I know it will be just as, if not more, important with a second baby since we will be out and about a lot more this time around. I love the Solly Baby Wrap.
21. Stroller // You will use a stroller often, so you want to find one that will last well into toddlerhood. I will be using the Nuna IVVI stroller with this new baby. What I love about this stroller is that it is made for birth up to 50 pounds. Whereas other strollers will require you to use a carseat or bassinet for newborns, the Nuna IVVI has a newborn insert that enables you to use the seat for newborns when the seat is fully reclined.
As I come to the end of my pregnancy, I thought I would share the maternity pieces that I couldn’t live without and the items used over and over again during this pregnancy. Below are what I would consider pregnancy essentials that every mama-to-be should have.
AN LBD THAT LASTS - If you want to receive a compliment every single time you wear something, then you need to run out and buy this Isabella Oliver dress right now. Trust me! I have worn this dress constantly all the way from my first trimester through to my third trimester. There is just something about this dress. It is comfortable, hugs in all of the right areas, and will last you your entire pregnancy.
STAYING HYDRATED - Drinking plenty of water during pregnancy not only helps you retain more amniotic fluid (more room for your baby!) and avoid those dreaded cramps and headaches that result from dehydration. It can’t hurt to have a cute tumbler to remind you to drink throughout the day and this Ban.do tumbler is one of my favorites.
MATERNITY/NURSING BRA - You will need a new bra because we all know that there are some changes that happen there. There are so many maternity/nursing bras out there, but Cake Maternity actually make bras that don’t look like they are made for nursing. If you want something that makes you feel good, but is also practical during your pregnancy, then I definitely recommend checking out Cake Maternity.
STYLISH FLATS – Even if you are a heels girl, at some point you are going to resort to wearing only flats. I found some really cute ones over on Sole Society for $30 that are comfortable to run around in all day long while still making me feel like I have dressed up.
UP YOUR SKINCARE REGIME - I am slightly crazy about my skin during pregnancy. I use an oil and then a lotion all over my body once to twice a day. Not only is my skin a lot drier during pregnancy (I often dream about taking a lotion bath), but I hope to avoid stretch marks by keeping my skin hydrated. Earth Mama Angel Baby create all-natural skincare products for both mama and baby, and their pregnancy products are hands down my favorite skincare products for keeping my skin healthy and hydrated throughout my pregnancy. I have used their products during both pregnancies and have so far avoided stretch marks. (I also highly recommend their pregnancy teas)
GET PLENTY OF SLEEP - Easier said than done, I know. Everyone tells you to get as much sleep as possible before the new baby arrives, but then you find yourself with pregnancy insomnia, having to wake up and pee every other hour, and changing positions every other minute trying to find a way to lay down. I swear I might get less sleep than when I’m up caring for a newborn. While there is nothing you can do to help the first two issues, the Bump Nest pillow is the solution for a comfortable sleep. Honestly, I don’t know how pregnancy women get by without one of these pillows! And the Bump Nest 2015 line of pillows have amazing prints and patterns so you can actually leave them out on your bed during the day.
SUPPORT WEAR - There will come a time in your pregnancy that your belly starts to just feel heavy. This is where Blanqi comes in. They make ultra supportive maternity wear that will be game changers for your pregnancy wardrobe. Not only do they help shape your body, but they basically hold everything in and up making for a more comfortable and better looking pregnancy. My favorite pieces are the Maternity Lift High Performance Belly Lift & Support Leggings and the Maternity Underbust High Performance Belly Support Tank.
COMFORTABLE UNDERGARMENTS - I really don’t like anything touching my stomach when I’m pregnant which is why I wear a lot of dresses, so my underwear has to be the stretchiest and most comfortable underwear out there otherwise it bothers me the entire day. Hanky Panky is the only brand that makes underwear that I can’t feel.
STATEMENT TEE - When I’m pregnant, I like to shout it from the mountain tops. There’s also that time at the beginning of your pregnancy where people aren’t quite sure whether you’re pregnant or if you might just have eaten one too many donuts (they blatantly eye your belly before quickly turning away with an embarrassed look on their face). Oh Baby Chic makes super cute statement tees for mamas like this Tres Chic Mama sweatshirt that let everyone know you’re a soon-to-be mama.
TALK TO YOUR BABY - Belly Buds is just a fun way to interact and connect with your baby while still in the womb. You can play music or share voice recordings with your little one during your pregnancy. You can also have other family members create voice recordings which is nice when daddy goes out of town.
As a baby, Holden needed constant movement. We spent hours doing circles around the living room, bouncing him in our arms to comfort him. It didn’t matter whether we were rocking, swinging, or bouncing, as long as we were moving, Holden was a happy baby. One of our favorite baby products during Holden’s infancy was the 4moms Mamaroo. Although being a first time mama, I found it hard to ever remove him from my arms, when I did, it was to pop him into the mamaroo. He loved the different types of movement that it made and we loved that it gave us a break here and there from our circles around the living room.
If this next baby is anything like Holden, the living room circles are about to be another constant in our house (although, with a second baby, we won’t be able to dedicate as much time to the circles since we will also have a toddler to take care of). This time around, I imagine that the 4moms mamaroo is not only going to be essential in soothing our new little baby, but will also allow me to spend one-on-one time with Holden and give me time to get ready, make food, and all of the other parts of life that are now a necessity with a toddler.
We were lucky enough to try out the brand new 4moms mamaroo which is everything the original mamaroo was and more. The brand new mamaroo allows you to control everything from your iPhone (via their iPhone app) which means no waking baby when you want to change the power, motion, speed, and sounds and no interrupting one-on-one time with Holden when the baby is content in the mamaroo.
And it’s your lucky day because I’m partnering with the 4moms team to giveaway one new mamaroo to one lucky winner! Enter below and good luck!!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Today I wanted to share one of my favorite new brands for children’s bedding, Bramwell Designs. I have found myself consistently drawn to Australian designers and this brand is definitely one of my favorites. Bramwell Designs products are bright, colorful, and fun, and just perfect for a little one’s bedroom. I had the honor of asking the designer and owner, Emma Rodney, behind Bramwell Designs, a few questions about the brand and her stunning creations…so let’s all get to know Bramwell Designs a little more…
A little intro please… At Bramwell Designs, we create organic hand printed bedlinen & accessories. We also specialize in custom design orders to create bedding to suit our clients or interior stylists needs and desires to a ‘T’. That is great fun and I love a challenge.
Who inspired you to do what you do? Since becoming a mum to two adorable little boys my passion for color and design led me down this path to create imaginative playful bedding collections for little peoples bedrooms.
How would you describe your line? I strive to create bedlinen that will grow with the child over the years. Our designs are contemporary, classic and a little bit quirky, whilst sourcing a high quality organic cotton which is super soft and cozy. All our design work and everything else is done in our studio, by the sea on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.
What influences your work? My childhood and the children in my life…how their little faces brighten up to the most simplest of things in life and their appreciation for their natural surroundings. We all need to remind ourselves to simplify our lives and appreciate the simple/little things in life and to take time to play and have some fun.
What does a typical day look like for you? Busy busy busy! As a mother and designer, I try my best to be super organized and allocate time for my designs and custom bedding orders, and when I am with my boys, I’m 100% devoted to them. My bedding collection is an extension of them, being free spirits, having fun on the journey and taking some risks. My passion for business and design drives me to continue and always will.
Tell us about your background before Bramwell Designs? I always aspired to create my own business doing something I was passionate in. I painted my big bold designs onto canvas and following a stint in London working for the worlds number one online fashion forecasting and trend service, my passion for design and beautiful things was ignited, so I took the plunge and haven’t looked back.
What is your favorite product you create and why? It’s all lots of fun & imaginative, our whole bedding range and recently we’ve launched these funky kindy sheet sets with hand printed name badges & organic canvas storage baskets and totes. A few other amazing products will be launched in 2015, but keeping the range fresh and limited, whilst on trend is essential and I truly love creating custom designed orders for my clients too, where I work with them and ultimately create a bedding collection that is unique for them and their little ones.. We also do adult size bedding, which has been a hit overseas.
What are the future plans for Bramwell Designs? The future is going to be an adventure where dreams come true. Some new collections will be launched in 2015, while still keeping our favourite ingredient, pops of neons, but we will offer something a little different to this years collection’s in the bedding range. Additionally, we will have an official launch of our Kindy sheet sets, which we hope will grow and give children something bright and playful to take to daycare/kindergarten. Plus a few other big surprises we are keeping a little secret for now…
Find and follow Bramwell Designs here: Website // Facebook // Instagram
Today I am beyond excited to announce that I have teamed up with one of my favorite companies to give all of you a chance to win the brand new Nuna LEAF luxx, which will be available exclusively at Neiman Marcus.
The Nuna LEAF luxx is a swaying baby seat that is perfect for newborns and will last well into your baby’s childhood as it holds 130lbs! The Nuna LEAF luxx is a fresh spin on it’s predecessor the Nuna LEAF, a Dutch designed favorite, and comes with a toy bar with 3 plush toys (which can be removed) and a newborn insert. With a gentle push, the Nuna LEAF luxx sways for over 2 minutes unassisted, which means you don’t need batteries or cords for this beauty.
Today we are giving away one Nuna LEAF luxx to one lucky reader in the color almond pictured above. It is available only at Neiman Marcus and it sells for $295.
This giveaway will run for ONE day only, so don’t miss out!! To enter use the Rafflecopter widget below. The winner will be picked at 8:30 PM (PST time) today!
a Rafflecopter giveaway